Constructed between 1810 and 1850
The building at 2 Pelham Street was probably constructed between 1810 and 1850. Like many other Brighton buildings, it’s faced with flint cobbles from the beach. The bricks are also local, and may have originated near Norfolk Square.
There’s no record of the builder and architect. The house was probably first inhabited by a skilled artisan, working in one of the industries in the North Laine.
Flint was a common, cheap building material. The flint walls were coated with tar for protection against the sea salt since the cobbles are held together by a lime based mortar that was prone to corrosion.