Regency Square conservation area
Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990. As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.
k) PRESTON STREET: Nicknamed the ‘street of a thousand restaurants’, there were in fact only thirty-five dining establishments in Preston Street in 1990! The phenomenon is recent as there were only two restaurants in 1956, eight in 1966, and thirteen in 1974 . The street was probably named from Preston Manor, the former home of the Western family after whom Western Road is named, and retains some interesting listed buildings. No.5 has a mid-nineteenth-century shop-front of fluted Corinthian pillars, while nos.58 and 60 on the eastern side date from the early nineteenth century and have bow windows; no.58 also has Ionic pilasters. The nearby Royal Sovereign Inn has a pair of bows and dates from the 1820s, while lower down the street stands Regency Cottage, no.79, a small, bowed house with a stone balustrade roof, which was probably designed in the 1820s by Wilds and Busby. Nos.16-18, with narrow bows and verandahs, are included on the council’s local list as are nos.40-44 which are decorated with fluted pilasters and ammonite capitals, a speciality of A.H.Wilds; they have been spoiled by the addition of window bays, however.
Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.