Brighton born and bred James Phillips (1857-1935) lived a mostly favorable life.
He had a provisioner’s shop in the late 1800s and early 1900s that catered largely to the summer carriage trade. These people were generally the ‘nobs’ trotting down from London. The address was 24 Prince Albert Street. This three-storey building housing shop and living quarters at the corner of Market Street and Prince Albert, was favorably located a stone’s throw from the Brighton seashore.