A potted history
Regency Square contains some of the finest examples of Regency architecture in Brighton. Built between 1818 and 1828 on a site known as Belle Vue Field, it is assumed to be the work of Amon Wilds and his son, Amon Henry Wilds, and was financed by Joshua Flesher Hanson as a speculative venture.
Designed in traditional town terrace-house style, the facade is unusual in not being completely covered with stucco. This dates back to the original scheme, whereby the upper portion of the houses should only consist of yellow brick, just as it is today.
The square rose to prominence when the Duke of St Albans moved there in 1830 with his wife, the former actress Harriot Mellon. They held lavish entertainments and hawking parties on the Downs, which were attended by the cream of Brighton society. The underground car park was constructed in 1969.