Regency Square conservation area
Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990. As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.
This outstanding conservation area, which stretches westwards from the Grand Hotel to the borough boundary, was developed principally in the 1810s and ’20s, and contains some of the finest examples of Brighton’s famous Regency architecture. However, the district of around 2,500 people now has many housing problems with its many multiply-occupied houses and bed-sits. The streets of particular interest in the area are detailed below, but see also “Bedford Hotel“, “Grand Hotel“, “King’s Road“, “Lower Esplanade“, “Metropole“, “Norfolk Hotel“, “West Pier“, and “Western Road“.
t) WESTERN STREET: A wide road where the bow-fronted and verandahed no.5, and no.31 with its original shop-front, are listed buildings of about 1820. Embassy Court was the first modern high-rise block of flats in the town and is listed for its architectural interest; see “King’s Road“. The large vacant area on the Hove side of Western Street was the site of Golden Lane and is scheduled for a mixed redevelopment. It was once a densely populated area of tenements and beer shops, with the inhabitants involved principally in brick making.
Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.