Old cobbled road under the station
When Brighton station was opened in 1841, it was connected to the town by a narrow, steep track running up from Trafalgar Street. Cabs used the track to drop off passengers next to today’s platform 7.
To get to the platform, the track went north from Trafalgar Street and then doubled back on itself, passing through a road tunnel underneath the station.
Station traffic stopped using the Trafalgar Street link in 1845 when Queen’s Road was built. The tunnel beneath the station is now disused and closed to the public.