London to Brighton line opened in 1841
Brighton station stands 130 feet above sea-level on a man-made plateau and was opened in 1840. For the opening of the London to Brighton line in 1841 the present station, designed by David Mocatta, was built.
The dignataries on the first two trains into Brighton on this line would have seen a large floral star suspended from the centre shed with a banner saying, “Welcome to Brighton”.
In 1845 Queens Road leading up to the station was constructed and a visitor to the station commented, “Leaving the station the traveller is able to look straight down towards the sea, though of course on the way back up the hill, he may have the disadvantage of weighty souvenirs and tired children”.