First public electric railway in Great Britain
The Volks Electric Railway was the first public electric railway in Great Britain. It was the brainchild of local inventor Magnus Volk and was opened on 4 August 1883.
Originally the line ran for 300 yards along the beach from the Aquarium to the old Chain Pier, but it in 1884 it was extended to the Banjo Groyne. A second car was introduced in 1885 and by the turn of the century there were five in operation. A further line extension to Black Rock occurred in 1901.
Following Volk’s death in 1937, the Corporation took over the track. Although closed during the war, it was restored and re-opened in April 1948. All year round trains ceased in 1952, but the line continues to be popular with tourists and visitors in the summer