The Somers Clarke family had a very long association with St. Nicholas which spanned generations. Somers Clarke Jnr was the architect who worked in the church for over twenty years trying to remedy the failings and omissions of the 1853 restoration overseen by Richard Cromwell Carpenter. Somers Clarke Snr was a Brighton solicitor who was Parish Clerk for many years at St Nicholas. The open ironwork pulpit used in the church today was his gift to St Nicholas in 1867.
Click on the image to open a large version in a new window. Click again on image to further enlarge.