John Hunter had been a Cow Keeper & Dairyman in Hove since at least the 1840’s. When he died his widow Ann continued the business, assisted by their three sons, John, Joseph and Edward. By the 1870’s John was running a Butcher’s shop in Church Street, Hove (now Church Road), whilst Joseph and Edward ran the Alderney Dairy in Church, Street, Hove. By the turn of the century the company had expanded to form the South of England Dairies Ltd., with Joseph Hunter as its Managing Director.
The premises continued to be used as a dairy, but reverted to Hunter’s Dairy before amalgamating with Hole’s Dairy. Joseph Hunter had also set up the South Coast Dairy Company in other premises at 146, Church Road. By the 1960’s the latter premises had closed and the business was concentrated into the premises at 102, again being called the South Coast Dairy. By the 1970s it had been turned into a supermarket.