Business started c1931
The Fruit Stores at 107, St. James’s Street, on the western corner with Madeira Place, came into being around 1931. This picture was taken in the latter years of the decade, when the proprietor was Edward Victor Pattemore.
A bank in the 1950s
By the end of the war the store had become a Fancy Bazaar, before being converted into a branch of the National Provincial Bank in the early1950s.
Few remaining original features
Today, little is recognisable of the original features of the shop, whereas the adjacent premises in St. James’s Street still retains their original facade. The premises are now occupied by a delicatessen called The Cherry Tree.
Research kindly supplied by Andy Grant