A prosaic part of Brighton, just five houses with ground floor shops, which joined Gloucester Road and Queens Road. Much older than they may have looked, they were built before Queens Road was laid out; they appear in Leppards Directory of Brighton for 1845.
Recognise any of these shops? Remember a public house? Please leave a comment below.
At first this small block was called North Quadrant, but the name was changed in 1914, possibly to avoid confusion with North Street Quadrant by the Clock Tower. No. 1, in the 1982 photograph, was for many years a Public House, first called the Cork Cutters Arms, and latterly the Lord Clyde.
The public conveniences came much later, in 1926, on the site of a small shrubbery, laid out when Queens Road was widened in the 1870’s.