Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990. As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.
r) HILLSIDE: An elegant, grade II listed house with five bays of decorative red brick and a Tuscan porch. Hillside was built in 1724 and was the farmhouse of West Side Farm. A listed gazebo at the rear looks out over the cobbled garden wall towards Falmer Road, and was built in about 1822 as a look-out for coaches from Lewes on the new Falmer Road. There is a second listed outbuilding at the rear of the house.
Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim