Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990. As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.
t) DOWN HOUSE: A very attractive grade II*-listed house faced in knapped and squared flint , Down House has a broken-pediment Doric doorway and extensive cellars and passages. It dates from 1619, the date of a stone in the eastern wall of the house, and remained in the Beard family for three hundred years until it was purchased by local historian Seaburne Moens in 1909. The rear part is now known as the Old Farm House and may be glimpsed from Challoners Mews.
Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim