Service started in 1901
Schemes for tramways were suggested in Brighton in as early as 1864, but the corporation’s electric tramways system did not begin operating until 1901. The Mayor of Brighton, Councillor John Stafford, drove the first tram on the 25th November, 1901. His route was from Victoria Gardens, along Lewes Road and terminated at Preston Barracks. A ride on the trams cost the grand sum of 1d for any distance travelled on the 9.5 mile system.
Click on the photographs below to open a large version in a new window.
Last tram ride in 1939
The trams were very popular, but by the 1930s the failings of the tramways system made the corporation consider the necessity of a new travel system for the town. The result was a new network of trolley and motor buses, which were better able to serve the new suburban developments. The last tram ran from Upper Rock Gardens to the Old Steine on September 1st 1939; the trams had done almost thirty eight years of sterling service to the town and their demise was mourned by many.