Originally the home of Thomas Read Kemp
Girls’ School, once a private house
This is a building at the bottom of our road. It used to be a private house and it is now a girls’ school, the view of which you can’t see much of because there is a wall surrounding it.
Home of Thomas Read-Kemp
This building was the original home of Thomas Read-Kemp, who built Kemp Town.
Design based on Solomon’s Temple
When it was first built it was the most extraordinary place just in the middle of fields with nothing around it at all and Kemp allegedly designed it around descriptions from the Bilble on Solomon’s temple and that’s why the original house, when he was living in it, was called the Temple.
This picture is of Montpelier Crescent which is just up from the girls’ school on the right-hand side of Montpelier Road, frequented by people early in the morning walking their dogs.
Site of cricket ground
Before Montpelier Crescent was actually built this was called Lea’s Trap or Lillywhites also known as the Temple Fields cricket ground and in 1842 Sussex actually played all-England on Montpelier Crescent.