Patcham Place

Built originally in 1558: rebuilt in 1764

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Browse this gallery: Next | Menu

Photo:Patcham Place, pre 1850: Patcham Place was originally built in 1558 for Sir William West, Lord de la Warr, but was rebuilt with a facade of black mathematical tiles, pediment and a Tuscan doorway in 1767 for John Paine. In 1926 it was purchased with its grounds by Brighton Corporation for £6000. Since 1939 it has been a Youth Hostel.

Patcham Place, pre 1850: Patcham Place was originally built in 1558 for Sir William West, Lord de la Warr, but was rebuilt with a facade of black mathematical tiles, pediment and a Tuscan doorway in 1767 for John Paine. In 1926 it was purchased with its grounds by Brighton Corporation for £6000. Since 1939 it has been a Youth Hostel.

Image reproduced with kind permission from Brighton and Hove in Pictures by Brighton and Hove City Council

This page was added on 30/09/2007.