History notes: 1893-1987
John George Blaker made a gift of the park in 1893 to the people of Brighton. He had bought many pieces of land to the east of Preston Manor from Ellen Stanford some of which he sold on for development. The creation of the Park in preference to more housing development enhanced the area for home dwellers and its no coincidence that John Blaker built his own home on the Stanford Avenue, adjacent to the park.
Great Storm damage in 1987
After the last War the park was landscaped – only holly and ash trees remained from the original planting. The larger ash trees were lost in the hurricane of 1987. The park has always been used by children and adults alike for promenading, playing and enjoying the green open spaces. Its popularity remains strong – local people continue to use the tennis courts and open space.