Originally a greengrocers
7 Victoria Road, in the Clifton Hill area, first appears in a street directory of 1856, when R. Barrow, “fruiter, milkman and greengrocer”, was in occupation. His customers would have been the largely wealthy inhabitants of this early Victorian suburb which grew up on land owned by Thomas Read Kemp until sold by his wife during the 1840s.
Selling foodstuffs for over 100 years
The property stayed in similar usage for well over 100 years – at various times Barrow was described either as a pork butcher, or simply a butcher, as well as greengrocer. His daughter succeeded him and by the 1890s the business was described as just “greengrocer”.
Formerly Greens vegetarian restaurant
By the 1970s, 7 Victoria Road had become an electrical shop until at least 1974. Some time after that it became Greens vegetarian restaurant – maybe named after the property’s previous usage!