Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990. As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.
m) ST.MARTHA’S CONVENT: The order originated in France in 1643, but the Rottingdean convent was founded in 1903 and moved in 1924 to the present buildings which stand on a site formerly occupied by Rudyard Kipling’s miniature rifle-range. There are a number of small flint buildings and walls in the grounds, while the R.C. Primary School of Our Lady of Lourdes, opened in 1969, stands nearby.
Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.