This is a photographic print of Cambridge Street, Brighton. It is a view of the terraced houses on the west side of the street, looking north. Four boys can be standing in front of the doorway of a house in the centre of the photograph. An area of wasteland can be seen on the opposite side of the street.
This photograph was commissioned by the Environmental Health department of Brighton Borough Council. It formed part of a visual record of areas considered for slum clearance. Cambridge Street was acquired by the Council as part of the Albion Hill Compulsory Purchase Order of 1955. The street was demolished in about 1959. Brighton’s first tower block flats were erected on this site in 1961.