The ‘Independent Tavern’ as it was listed in a directory of 1859 was built in the mid 1850’s at the rear of a lodging house on Preston Street. By 1867 it was listed as ‘The Dependant’. The Dependant closed as a public house shortly after WWII. Purefoy
The Public House Bookshop
Engineering/Valezina Ltd took over the building until about 1970 manufacturing amongst other things the Valezina corkscrew. In the seventies The Building became the ‘Public House Bookshop’. The Dependant is now a house, retaining the look of the original pub. Does anyone have any memories or old photos of The Dependant.