Woodingdean House (now demolished)

Photo:Woodingdean House - probably in early 50s

Woodingdean House - probably in early 50s

From the private collection of Jennifer Drury

Owners: from the beginning to the end

by Jennifer Drury

Woodendean House, which stood in what is now Ovingdean Close, was built in the 1830s by a Mr. Lennard. By the late 1800s it was known as Woodingdean House. Notable owners include Mrs. Van der Elst, who lived there from 1929-39, 'the richest woman in Brighton' who had three Rolls Royce motor cars and fifteen servants.

Thomas Henry Sargeant of Brighton 'gent' - better known as Max Miller - owned the house from 1939-45. He 'cheekily' changed its name to Woodland Grange regardless of the fact that it certainly never was a grange.

Between 1958-60 the then owner sold off plots of the land adjoining the house for redevelopment. When he died in 1962 the rest was sold off and the house eventually demolished.

This page was added on 22/03/2006.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.