A potted history
The Bijou Electric Empire opened in 1911 at no.63a North Street, the former printing works of the Southern Publishing Company. In 1915 it became the Prince’s Electric Theatre, the Bijou Select Palace in 1918, and the Prince’s Cinema the following year.
Sound equipment in 1929
Sound equipment was installed in late 1929, and the building was transformed with a new foyer and neon-lit facade in 1933. In 1947 the cinema became the Prince’s News Theatre and then the Jacey in 1967, but was taken over in association with the British Film Institute in February 1969 and showed specialist films as the Brighton Film Theatre.
Closed in 1978
This venture closed in late 1978 following financial difficulties, but the building was reopened as the Cinescene on 10 September 1979 by Myles Byrne, and continued until June 1983. In 1988 the building was refronted as a Burger King restaurant.