Foredown Isolation Hospital
Bleak and isolated
What a bleak day it was when these photos were taken shortly before Foredown Isolation Hospital was demolished in the late 1980’s. Built in 1883, probably the patients also faced many a bleak day throughout its 100-year history, so isolated from their families and loved ones.
In the nineteenth century death from infectious disease was very frequent, most vulnerable were children. It should be remembered that at this time diseases like diphtheria, polio, smallpox and tuberculosis were common killers. It was thought that rest, fresh air, and of course isolation from others was the best form of treatment.
1893 Isolation Hospitals Act
It seems that with much forethought Hove Corporation provided the hospital, prior to it becoming compulsory for local authorities to make available such facilities, with the passing of the 1893 Isolation Hospitals Act. The facilities were improved in the early 1900’s with the addition and extension of buildings, and of course the water tower, which is still there today.
Closure in the 1970s
Improvements in sanitation, vaccination and the development of antibiotics, lead to the closure of many isolation hospitals, although Foredown survived into the early 1970s. The housing estate bordered by, Fox Way, Foredown Road and the A293 now stand on the land once so deliberately isolated from the rest of Hove and Portslade.