Originally Ovingdean House built c1792

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

d) OVINGDEAN HALL: This fine, late-eighteenth-century mansion is approached along a private road from the New Lodge at the bottom of Ainsworth Avenue. Faced in light-yellow mathematical tiles , the house has a pediment and an impressive Doric doorway, and is now used as a voluntary residential special school for the aurally handicapped. It was erected in about 1782 for Nathaniel Kemp, the uncle of Thomas Read Kemp , who lived there until his death in 1843. He is buried in St Wulfran’s churchyard along with his son, Charles Kempe (1838-1907), the stained-glass artist. {1,44,47,64a,306}

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *