Regency Square conservation area
Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990. As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.
This outstanding conservation area, which stretches westwards from the Grand Hotel to the borough boundary, was developed principally in the 1810s and ’20s, and contains some of the finest examples of Brighton’s famous Regency architecture. However, the district of around 2,500 people now has many housing problems with its many multiply-occupied houses and bed-sits. The streets of particular interest in the area are detailed below, but see also “Bedford Hotel“, “Grand Hotel“, “King’s Road“, “Lower Esplanade“, “Metropole“, “Norfolk Hotel“, “West Pier“, and “Western Road“.
d) CAVENDISH PLACE: Built in about 1829 by A.H.Wilds, this cul-de-sac is lined with four- and five-storey houses adorned with balconies and Corinthian pilasters, all listed except nos.3 and 14; nos.5-6 also have bows. No.6 has a plaque to the Irish dramatist Dion Boucicault who lived there from 1862 until 1872, while no.12 was the home of writer Horace Smith from 1840 until 1849. At the top of the road stands The Curzon, a most elegant listed hotel with ironwork balconies; it was originally two separate residences known as the Cavendish Mansions.
Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.