Completed in 1842
To allow a new approach to the Town Hall from Ship Street, a thoroughfare linking the street with Black Lion Street was completed in 1842. Called Prince Albert Street, it sliced through the existing street pattern.
The road was made possible when, in 1836, the Vicar of Brighton, the Reverend Henry Wagner built a new vicarage near Montpelier Road. His old vicarage in Nile Street was acquired by a Quaker, Isaac Bass who offered it to the Town Commissioners. It was demolished in 1837 and in 1842 Bass was paid £800 to demolish 3 houses in Black Lion Street and make the 30 feet wide western half of Prince Albert Street.