Once the boundary between Hove and Portslade
Once forming the boundary (down the centre of the road) between Hove and Portslade, the road still has one name on the East (Hove) side and another on the West (Portslade) side.
When the Hove Corporation Act 1912 was passed by Parliament, it contained powers for the Corporation to pull up the lines of the ‘Brighton and Shoreham Tramway’, a horse tramway (to begin with, a steam tramway) that ran from Shoreham Station along the coast road to Portslade, up to New Church Road and along that road to the boundary between Aldrington and Hove (it never reached Brighton) at Westbourne Villas. Hove did indeed rip up the rails within its 1912 boundaries, and the trams were left with a “monorail” in Station Road, Portslade. The last tram was not long delayed!