Cottages date from c1810
Several attractive one- and two-storey cottages lie along this narrow twitten behind Clifton Terrace. The old cottages at the Dyke Road end probably date from about 1810 when the lane was known as Mill Place after William Vine’s post-mill.
Click on any of the photographs to open a large version in a new window.
Vine’s Mill, which was built in 1806, stood slightly to the north-west, on the land between Powis Grove and Clifton Hill. It is possible that Clifton Hill was originally the approach road to this mill. William Vine had the mill from 1818 until 1836. Edward Cutress was the last miller when it was pulled down in 1848.