Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990. As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.
l) PRINCE’S STREET: A narrow street behind Pavilion Parade in which nos.8 and 11-12 are attractive three-storey houses, and nos.19-20 are listed buildings, refaced in Victorian times but retaining their late-eighteenth- or early-nineteenth-century doorways. The Marlborough at the corner of Pavilion Street contains the New Marlborough Theatre. Seating an audience of around fifty, the theatre was reopened on 4 March 1988.
The large red-brick building dominating Prince’s Street, adorned with Corinthian pillars, an oriel window and dolphin motifs, was designed by Nunn and Hunt and was opened on 7 May 1895 as the Brighton Parochial Offices for the board of guardians and registrar; the site had once belonged to the county court which moved to Church Street in 1869. Following the dissolution of the guardians in 1930 the offices were taken by the council’s public assistance committee, and from 1974 they were used by the county’s social services department. In 1986-9 the offices, which are on the council’s local list of buildings of interest, were used temporarily as a magistrates’ court while the Edward Street building was refurbished, but the future of the building is doubtful.
Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.