Local listing is different to statutory listing; it does not provide further legislative controls. and does not affect when planning permission is required. However, when planning permission is required, the ‘special interest’ of a locally listed heritage asset will be taken into account. In 2013 the council asked for nominations for inclusion in the list; over five hundred submissions were considered. The Local List of Heritage Assets was adopted on 18th June 2015, it will be reviewed in 2020; other items in the current list can be seen here.
Street directories identify a public house called The Jolly Brewer from as early as 1848, when David Dunk was the proprietor. The tithe map of c1840 shows a structure in this location, when the majority of the surrounding land had not yet been developed. The c.1870 Ist Edition OS map identifies the corner building as an ‘inn’, with the remainder of the existing terrace also extant.
Well-known brewery Tamplin’s acquired the property in 1874 and the architectural style of the building suggests that they largely remodelled the building. It is a two storey building with attic; a steep tiled roof with bracketed eaves. There are glazed red-brown tiles to the ground floor with a rough-cast render above.
The original main entrance was located on the corner; it is now a window. Above, a tower with domed roof creates a prominent feature. Etched glazing is on the ground floor of the Ditchling Road elevation; two shallow bow windows are above. Similar glazing to the ground floor of the Florence Place elevation. Above, a large pub sign depicting the Jolly Brewer. Below the eaves a blue and gold mosaic with the letters ‘Tamplin’s Ales’.