Local listing is different to statutory listing; it does not provide further legislative controls. and does not affect when planning permission is required. However, when planning permission is required, the ‘special interest’ of a locally listed heritage asset will be taken into account. In 2013 the council asked for nominations for inclusion in the list; over five hundred submissions were considered. The Local List of Heritage Assets was adopted on 18th June 2015, it will be reviewed in 2020; other items in the current list can be seen here.
An inn and stables were opened on this site in 1834. The site was acquired by Tamplin’s in 1925, who proceeded to completely rebuild the pub in 1938. At that point Cecil T Bennett was the landlord. Tamplin’s usual architect was Arthur Packham. Tamplin’s sold the pub in 1963.
Antram & Pevsner describe the building style as a ‘subtle combination of the traditional and the modern.’ Two storey with render on brick plinth elevations and tiled roofs. The front elevation houses two large semi-circular bays capped with conical roofs giving the impression of turrets. The turrets and roofs form the dominant features.
Between the towers, the main entrance is flanked by a window to either side with three windows above, forming a symmetrical design. These openings have decorative stone surrounds with fluted pilasters to the first floor. Crittal style windows. To the south,a probable cart entrance has been infilled and the space is now in use as a music venue. To the north is a large beer garden.