Local listing is different to statutory listing; it does not provide further legislative controls. and does not affect when planning permission is required. However, when planning permission is required, the ‘special interest’ of a locally listed heritage asset will be taken into account. In 2013 the council asked for nominations for inclusion in the list; over five hundred submissions were considered. The Local List of Heritage Assets was adopted on 18th June 2015, it will be reviewed in 2020; other items in the current list can be seen here.
Early reference to alehouse
There is mention of an alehouse in Hove as early as 1578, and a ‘Ship Inn’ was built (or rebuilt) in 1702. This continued in use as a public house until the early 20th century, and is rumoured to have been a favoured watering-hole for smugglers. A road-widening scheme led to the demolition of this building, with a replacement building built in 1914 by West Street Brewery following compensation from Hove Council. The building was designed by Thomas Garrett. In 1915 W.E.Lynn was the landlord.
Old Hove Conservation area
In 1916 Tamplin’s took over the building, and continued to own it until 1963. It is now named The Ginger Pig. The building has two storeys, with three gable ends fronting the road. The pub frontage is rendered to the ground floor, with fascia extending across the entirety of the building. The entrance is set centrally; the fascia rises above the entrance with dentil detailing and a round plaque depicting a ship set within it. There is mock timber-framing to the gables. Within the Old Hove Conservation Area, the building is atypical of the area due to its use and style of architecture. The three mock timber-framed gables are particularly prominent features in the streetscape.