North Gate: erected in 1832
Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990. As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.
k) NORTH GATE, Church Street : The Royal Pavilion’s northern entrance is an Indian-style gateway of Portland stone surmounted by a copper dome and flanked by two lodges. It is adorned with pillars and minarets, a lion and crown looking northwards, and a crown and prince of Wales’s feathers looking south. It also bears the letters ‘W IIII’ and the date 1832, and was erected in that year for King William IV by Joseph Good. It is now a listed building. On 4 October 1837 the North Gate was decorated with flowers and turned into a triumphal arch for the first visit of Queen Victoria. The northern face has a drinking fountain of 1859.
Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.