Design by Somers Clark Jnr
The west wall and east walls of the nave were decorated by Charles Eamer Kempe who was responsible for most of the stained glass windows in the church; the design on the wall was produced by Somers Clarke Jnr. Restoration work was carried out on the paintings in 2009 and now their glorious colours and details are once again visible.
West wall of the nave
In the centre of the wall is the coat of arms of George IV (1762–1830). Either side are the arms of William de Warenne, and the diocese of Chichester, St Nicholas’ two main patrons. William de Warren was William the Conqueror’s son-in-law and overlord of the area after the Norman Conquest; in the Domesday Book the manor was assessed as being worth £12. In 1558, the advowson was gained by the Bishop of Chichester; the holder of that title has been the patron of the church ever since.
East wall of the nave
Like the west wall, the east wall of the nave has painted decoration designed by Somers Clarke Jnr and executed by Charles Eamer Kempe, c1892. The decoration is of trailing foliage and sacred emblems with flowers in relief. This wall was also restored as part of the ongoing work in 2009.
Click on the image to open a large version in a new window. Click again on image to further enlarge.