The Princess Royal visited the Sussex Eye Hospital in Eastern Road today to mark its 180th anniversary. The hospital is run by Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust, which also runs the Royal Sussex County Hospital and the Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital.
The Sussex and Brighton Infirmary for Diseases of the Eye opened on the corner of Middle Street and Boyce’s Street in 1832. It moved to Queen’s Road in 1846 and changed its name to the Sussex Eye Hospital in 1881. Just over fifty years later it moved to its current site in Eastern Road.